You are here

Live-In Caregiver Program

The majority of low skill temporary workers in Canada migrate under the LCP, formerly known as the Foreign Domestic Movement. The program is unique among the TFWPs in that it does have the potential to lay a foundation for permanent residence: the workers, the overwhelming majority of whom are from the Philippines, may transfer to permanent status if, up to four years from the date of their arrival in Canada, they have worked at least 24 months, or have been fully employed 3900 hours within a minimum of 22 months (with a maximum of 390 hours of overtime).15 Potential employers are required to apply for an LMO.16 The LCP is also unique given that workers are required to live with their employers, a provision criticized by the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW).17


This provision that caretakers live with their employers, CEDAW claims, opens up the possibility of abuse, because it nullifies the requirement that the caretaker has time off: by virtue of where they are forced to live, they are always on call.

As of April 1, 2010, employers are required to pay all recruitment fees and transportation costs, provide health insurance at no expense to the worker, enroll caregivers in provincial workplace safety insurance and include mandatory clauses in the employment contract stipulating its duration, expected duties, hours, accommodation and other relevant information.18


"Visa Pages" - U.S. Temporary Foreign Work Programs - New Edition
Updated edition of Visa Pages is now available! 
"Visa Pages" is a one-stop resource to find comprehensive information about the various non-immigrant visas U.S. employers use to bring temporary foreign workers from all over the world to work in the U.S. 
Recruitment Rules: Countries of Employment

"Recruitment Rules: Countries of Employment" details the legal framework for international labor recruitment in four common temporary work programs - the United States nonimmigrant H-2A (agricultural) and H-2B (nonagricultural) visas, and the Canadian Temporary Foreign Worker Program and the bilateral Special Program for Agricultural Workers with Mexico and Caribbean nations.


© 2012 | Global Workers Justice Alliance | 789 Washington Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11238 | | (646)351-1160