Requirements: B-1 in lieu of H-1B

Non-immigrant intent
Employed by overseas firm
o May be foreign branch of U.S. company
o Difficult for new employees whose first assignment is direct to the U.S.
Specialty occupation plus Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Paid by overseas firm
o Expense allowance may come from U.S. company
No employment contract required
See 9 FAM